1961-71 Dodge Sweptline Truck Forum

Sweptline Showcase

Sponsored Links

hello guy's heres one to ponder over. we just replaced the rod bearings on my sons truck.directly after firing the motor the crank case filled with water. we did diagnostics and a leak down test on all cylinders. all were withion limits , and no noticeable preasure drops.we asumed that we blew 
Re: 80's model 318 water in the oil????
Posted by: JimmieD (66.81.198.---)
Date: July 22, 2013 04:48AM

So that was it, the timing cover hole? Man, what a pain in the butt! Sorry for your hassles....

Stuck a 360-3 Premium block in mine years ago, lots of work on the heads, oversize valves, titanium seats, ported & polished, cam and solid lifters, best go-fast parts, Edelbrock intake & carb, Hedman's etc. Ran it and it overheated really bad! ??? Pulled engine a couple times, checked everything I could check. Nothin'. What did I screw up this time??

Think I finally figured block must be cracked. In process of 3rd teardown, this time complete, I knocked out the freeze plugs - punch them sideways, twist out with a channel locks.

In right front freeze plug hole I discovered an old freeze plug had been knocked into block, left there in the water passage by the rebuilder [not me] and new freeze plug installed over it! $Buck and a half steel freeze plug caused me 3 engine pulls, tear downs and gasket sets!!!

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
80's model 318 water in the oil???? 1236 simplegreendodge 07/21/2013 04:42PM
FOUND IT 434 simplegreendodge 07/21/2013 08:04PM
Re: 80's model 318 water in the oil???? 675 JimmieD 07/22/2013 04:48AM

Array
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.