1961-71 Dodge Sweptline Truck Forum

Sweptline Showcase

Sponsored Links

Just thought you guys would like to know. The problem turned out simple. Yes, with blurry vision, blurry brain, I found it.!! LMAO You recall my TOTW was charging at the battery, but discharge was all that would show at ammeter. I was about to buy a underdash voltmeter for generic display. Bit of h 
Electrical Gremlin Not Now
Posted by: Gordo (96.25.39.---)
Date: September 01, 2009 09:27PM

Just thought you guys would like to know.

The problem turned out simple. Yes, with blurry vision, blurry brain, I found it.!! LMAO

You recall my TOTW was charging at the battery, but discharge was all that would show at ammeter. I was about to buy a underdash voltmeter for generic display.

Bit of history. The power wagon was equipped with a extra battery tray. it was/is still wired for dual batterys. The tray was removed by prior owner.

The alternator was not working when I bought the truck. I dbl checked it. I put in another alternator. It worked fine and a couple days later it quit. All prior to my questions.

Upon simple checks I found the alternator was not getting battery fed 12 volts. The 12 volts was fed (just a day prior was hot) from a hot side of the isolator on the 2nd battery side.

When I found it dead (isolater output post) I used its wire in its entirety to go from battery direct to the alternator.

That is when I got 14.6 at the battery, yet discharge at the ammeter.

Then came my post of questions. Kinda unfair to have not mentioned the extra battery, (maybe even dumb) in as much therein was the answer.

What apparently happened was the isolater, quit feeding its own post which fed the alternator.

So, the fix became simple at that point. I threw away my alternator wire which I had to use on the temporary fix. Went to the isolater picked up it's hot feed and hooked it direct to alternator thereby eliminating the bad isolator.

All wiring for the extra battery remains but it is not used at this time. It is not needed but if someone wants it, they buy a new isolater and tray, and they are back to extra battery status. Nicely wired.

BTW, The minute I hooked the alternator to that hot feed, ammeter started working as it now goes thru all the proper dash wiring. Gordo

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Electrical Gremlin Not Now 846 Gordo 09/01/2009 09:27PM
Re: Electrical Gremlin Not Now 353 PwrWgnDrvr 09/01/2009 10:31PM
Re: Electrical Gremlin Not Now 377 Gordo 09/01/2009 10:38PM
Re: Electrical Gremlin Not Now 330 MoparNorm 09/02/2009 03:32AM
Re: Electrical Gremlin Not Now 508 beemrmax 09/02/2009 11:02AM

Array
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.