1961-71 Dodge Sweptline Truck Forum

Sweptline Showcase

Sponsored Links

with the help of fellow forum members i have been doing some searching and comparing. it has been a post made over and over thru the years, "where can i get a radiator for my truck?" well, just by simple happenstance i have an 89 d150 now and noticed the radiator looked a lot like my old  
alternative radiator source...
Posted by: wideblock (174.28.238.---)
Date: July 19, 2011 09:11AM

with the help of fellow forum members i have been doing some searching and comparing. it has been a post made over and over thru the years, "where can i get a radiator for my truck?" well, just by simple happenstance i have an 89 d150 now and noticed the radiator looked a lot like my old sweptline radiators. so i did some measuring and comparing and im happy to say this newer radiator will work as a replacement for the old tired radiator under the hood of most sweptlines. best thing is, its on the shelf at o'reiley auto parts for a mere $119.95. its a Murray radiator part #433959 for an 89 dodge d150 with the 318 (5.2ltr). im betting they can be had for less at the local pick and pull. cool part is, the brackets for mounting are bolted to the core, so any future swaps can be done easy, you modify the brackets as needed one time, then over the years you can just swap in a new core as needed. if your a purist, this isn't for you, a couple holes will need to be drilled to make it work, but im betting i could have this thing installed and on the road in less then an hour, so its not much modification. plus, thru a junk yard, eBay or possibly even a parts place you can get the fan shroud to match that bolts on and help your cooling even further. what i have on mine is the 2 row non-ac version. its an aluminum core with plastic tanks top/bottom and steel mounting brackets. my truck is running a 69 model 318 from a d200, all stock except for the Holley 2bbl and a 904 trans cooled thru the factory internal radiator cooler. it has a 180 t-stat, and a 5 blade stock fan with the thermo clutch. i have been running it around town, on the highway, and in stop and go traffic the past few weeks in 98-107 degree NM desert weather. plus i have a heavy foot, so it hasn't been super easy grandma driving...lol! so far i have yet to see my needle go above 195, and that only happened once in traffic. the second i start moving again she goes right back to 185 and settles there nice and steady. next time a swepty comes across my path, this will be one of the first mods i do.

details..
sweptline radiator measures 28.5 inches across the bolt holes horizontally and 12.5 inches across the bolts vertically. the newer radiator measures 29 inches horizontal and 9 inches vertical. BUT... the flange is a shade over 2 inches wide for about the upper 10 inches, then runs the rest of the vertical space at about 1 inch wide. so you have more then enough room to position it properly and drill a couple holes in the flange or your core support to get this puppy in there and cooling that old truck. now, if you look at the pictures, this thing will work on /6 and small block trucks due to the mount, but im betting a clever guy could flip the brackets, swap them side for side and make it fit up right for a big block and its more flush mounting.

i was also looking at ebay and they have numerous upgraded all aluminum versions of this in 2 large core and 3 core versions. so if your cooling needs exceed stock, your still covered. one other good thing, i havent gotten to compare a lot, i have looked at a 84 and a 91 also, but it seems as though all the box bodied dodges have the same basic set up. so that covers 1973 thru around 91-92, pretty large coverage for finding what you need.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
alternative radiator source... 2855 wideblock 07/19/2011 09:11AM
Re: alternative radiator source... 499 MoparNorm 07/19/2011 10:11AM
Re: alternative radiator source... 470 JimmieD 07/19/2011 11:15AM
Re: alternative radiator source... 539 wideblock 07/19/2011 11:29AM
Re: alternative radiator source... 426 JimmieD 07/20/2011 09:20AM
Re: alternative radiator source... 648 wideblock 07/21/2011 08:39AM

Array
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.