1961-71 Dodge Sweptline Truck Forum

Sweptline Showcase

Sponsored Links

At the risk of wearing out my welcome . . . . . A new topic to ponder . . . Cold Air Intake vs Warm Air Intake Supposedly a Cold Air Intake provides denser air, therefore providing better combustion. . . And Warm Air Intakes allow the engine to run easier and in the throttle-open position and provi 
At the Risk of . . . .
Posted by: mastrclndr (98.148.25.---)
Date: November 29, 2010 08:14PM

At the risk of wearing out my welcome . . . . .
A new topic to ponder . . .
Cold Air Intake vs Warm Air Intake

Supposedly a Cold Air Intake provides denser air, therefore providing better combustion. . . And Warm Air Intakes
allow the engine to run easier and in the throttle-open position and provide better gas mileage, but at the cost of some horsepower.
Between you and me . . . . I just can't imagine the external air temperature to be all that cooler/denser than the air temperature
under that roomy hood. But then again, this is coming from a Calif native who wears shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops in the winter. (forgive me)

I see there are many after-market Cold Air intake systems that can easily be adapted to the spacious and roomy engine compartment
of a Sweptline. I do not see Warm Air Intakes though. Most of the information I've seen on Warm Air Intakes has been Home Made versions.
Cold Air Intakes are commonplace today because of the lack of space under the hood of modern cars. That being said . . there's little reason
to buy an after market Cold system when they're readily available out of just about any car today. IMO

What throws me off is that my experience tells me that a carburetor and engine run better when warm. If that were not the case then why
would there be little spring contraptions extending to the engine to garner the heat in order to make the carburetor run better when the
engine is initially fired up.

It seems counter intuitive that colder air would fire more readily than warm air, but warmer air would provide better FE, but reduce HP.
It would seem to me the warmer the air, the better the firing . . the better the engine function, and the better the FE due to all working
in warm heated up harmony.

Wouldn't a Warm Air Intake coming directly off the exhaust manifold with low-restriction provide superior firing and therefore performance and efficiency?

Or should I just slap a large air cleaner on the pig and call it a day?

olSparky.jpg]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2010 09:32PM by mastrclndr.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
At the Risk of . . . . 1010 mastrclndr 11/29/2010 08:14PM
Re: At the Risk of . . . . 442 Gordo 11/30/2010 03:57AM
Re: At the Risk of . . . . 402 MoparNorm 11/30/2010 06:16AM
Re: At the Risk of . . . . 403 PwrWgnDrvr 11/30/2010 08:39AM
Re: At the Risk of . . . . 502 MoparNorm 11/30/2010 03:08PM
Re: At the Risk of . . . . 575 JimmieD 11/30/2010 02:00PM

Array
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.