1961-71 Dodge Sweptline Truck Forum

Sweptline Showcase

Sponsored Links

I spent most of a week @ Ft Benning, GA for our 1/50th Infantry reunion. Great time and a number of new faces plus I met another @ ATL while waiting for a flight. He knew nothing about 1/50th assigned to Benning, our net site or the reunion. Another one found! Of interest to some here is that I had 
Re: GA visit
Posted by: Russ Roth (67.170.188.---)
Date: May 14, 2013 12:35PM

Thanks John. We had a great time and but really got sucker punched (in a good way) by current troops and their Commanding Officers. B company graduated from Basic on Friday but not all stayed and really missed out. There were several other companies also but not 1/50th. Jay Coplay said let's give them a real hand and as the whole company passed the grandstands we gave a standing ovation until the whole company had passed by.

Jay had received a Battlefield Commision and commanded C company when they and a 1/69th tank company went to help A company May 5, 1968. Due to his bravery and heroism a number of A company troops were saved. He was greviously wounded in the throat, refused medevac until later in the battle and most everyone thought he had died. Someone discovered about 3 years ago he was still alive and kicking and living near Ft. Benning. He had been awarded a Silver Star for his actions that day but was upgraded to a Disinguished Service Cross at our last Reunion. I was not involved in the May 5 battle although our platoon was alerted to be ready. I listened for hours to the raging battle on the radio net and it was not pretty. I trained with one of the Medics that I knew would be there. I think there are several stories of this battle on the 1/50th site. Jim Fitzgeralds is pretty graphic if it is on there. He told me that one in person at the first Reunion he attended.

One of the days we ate MRE's with the trainees and before we entered the building we were stopped outside for a minute. The Battalion Commander said they were going to give us the Welcome Home we never recieved. About 50-60 troops were lined either side including all the Officers and gave us hand shakes, thank yous and high fives. Pretty cool!

But after the graduation is when we really were blind sided. They hauled us over to the Infantry museum for a picture. We were held on the bus for a bit and noticed a ton of civilians. Did not think much of it but when Robert and I got off we were spread out from others in our group. We noticed all these people smiling and clapping. Robert says that's not for us to which I agree. But about the same time we realize they are looking right at US and some reaching to shake our hands. I tell Robert it is for us!

Now, mind you, I was not one looking for anyting other than to come home in one piece and live my life the way I wanted, which I have been quite blessed to do, for the most part anyway. But this, WOW, it puts a lump in my throat even now. I almost was not able to literally start crying. Some did but I managed to hold it together and not make a dang fool outa myself although it was pretty hard. I could not have swallowed the lump in my throat to save my life. Bless her heart, one lady saw my struggle and came out of the crowd, clasped my hand and put her other hand on my shoulder. What an emotional and wonderful thing to happen. Probably the best event at one of these Reunions to occur. My hat is off to the !/50th troops for this. They did take a picture with the some of the graduationg troops so it was not all in vain.

I had a great time with Russ and his wife. I'm sorry I was not able to stay longer but maybe next time.

RR

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
GA visit 1237 Russ Roth 05/11/2013 09:55PM
Re: GA visit 508 JimmieD 05/12/2013 07:31AM
Re: GA visit 498 Gordo 05/12/2013 10:04AM
Re: GA visit 438 PwrWgnDrvr 05/13/2013 09:01AM
Re: GA visit 573 shartwig 05/12/2013 09:09PM
Re: GA visit 564 Hobcobble 05/13/2013 11:39AM
Re: GA visit 476 Russ Roth 05/14/2013 12:35PM
Re: GA visit 492 Russ Roth 05/14/2013 12:44PM
Re: GA visit 533 Russ 05/25/2013 06:42PM
Re: GA visit 558 Russ Roth 05/26/2013 01:37AM
Re: GA visit 696 JimmieD 05/31/2013 08:17PM

Array
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.