1961-71 Dodge Sweptline Truck Forum

Sweptline Showcase

Sponsored Links

Getting ready to bolt the Poly back into the Townie and am considering an electric fan. The setup was originally a slant six, I believe, and there was danged little clearance for the fan when I took it out (and some damage to the radiator). So I was thinking about one or more electric replacements. 
Re: Electric Fan Recommendation?
Posted by: JimmieD (66.81.29.---)
Date: July 03, 2009 01:59PM

I'm using an electric fan on my engine swap. I have the thermostatic switch, and the override. Unfortunately it's suggested that the fans be placed to pull air through, as on engine side of radiator. There are some low profile fans out there.

It's also possible to reposition the radiator farther forward, giving more clearance on a Townie. First option is to place radiator mounted on forward side of the vertical attachment ribs on radiator support, that gives up to 3/8" more clearance. Next option is how I have mine, with radiator mounted to front side of radiator support. Now the radiator is all the way forward about 3 or more inches.

I cut down the mounting wings on sides of radiator, set it in front of support, then fabbed some simple brackets that go from radiator wings to radiator support, all bolted firmly in place. Only drawback is somewhat limited clearance to fill radiator using stock trim piece on top, but it's very do-able.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Electric Fan Recommendation? 1282 dspeed 07/02/2009 08:27PM
Re: Electric Fan Recommendation? 422 JimmieD 07/03/2009 01:59PM
Re: Electric Fan Recommendation? 470 dspeed 07/03/2009 02:38PM
Re: Electric Fan Recommendation? 467 JimmieD 07/03/2009 03:08PM
Re: Electric Fan Recommendation? 438 wideblock 07/04/2009 09:24PM
Re: Electric Fan Recommendation? 983 MoparNorm 07/05/2009 09:58AM

Array
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.