1961-71 Dodge Sweptline Truck Forum

Sweptline Showcase

Sponsored Links

Hi guys! Have any of you ever used a 'shrinking disc' for bodywork? I had really extensive body damage to the rear of the Town Wagon, it was a 'total' then it got rear-ended again! I amazed myself in that I was able to stretch & pound it all out, very close to original. The  
Re: Bodywork - Shrinking Disc
Posted by: JimmieD (66.81.199.---)
Date: July 20, 2009 11:12PM

I don't care for the looks of the discs I see advertised, from Eastwoods ridiculous prices down to fair prices, all looks too flimsy. I have a 3/16" Stainless disc so if I do it I'll put a 5/8" hole in center of that, balance it and know that nothing is going to explode.

Torch is only a very last resort. I have a fuel tank in the area and also there's some very stubborn original paint back there, in areas of fender/quarter where I can't easily remove it. The disc, if it will work, is a much safer option.

Hah, shortcuts? You simply wouldn't believe the amount of damage the truck suffered in back-to-back rear-enders, once by a 2005 Ford 1 ton 4WD doing 25 mph, didn't even touch his brakes! Rolled the floor up, caved in a 1/2' steel channel Barden tow bumper,wiped both back doors, popped the left rear quarter out 12 inches, blew all the welds clear up to the front doors & footwells, cracked the windshield, threw front fenders & hood out of alignment, blew the welds in the roof, driver's door had to be pried open, etc.

All that got straightened with a come-along, hydraulic jack, hammer & dolly, plus some cut/fab/weld work, the old fashioned way: blood, sweat & tears.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Bodywork - Shrinking Disc 1622 JimmieD 07/19/2009 02:01AM
true AND false 602 ben 07/19/2009 02:02PM
Re: Bodywork - Shrinking Disc 510 JimmieD 07/19/2009 08:51PM
Re: Bodywork - Shrinking Disc 481 ben 07/20/2009 09:28AM
Re: Bodywork - Shrinking Disc 710 JimmieD 07/20/2009 11:12PM

Array
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.