1961-71 Dodge Sweptline Truck Forum

Sweptline Showcase

Sponsored Links

The splines on the input shaft on my steering box have stripped out. I have a couple other boxes that splines do not look in the best of shape either. The box that is totally stripped is a really tight box and the truck steered real well. My question is would it be safe to drill though the collar a 
Re: Steering boxes
Posted by: JimmieD (66.81.196.---)
Date: May 04, 2009 12:45PM

NO! I didn't do a bolt or rollpin!

The Dodge shaft is considerably thicker than a TR3 but I decided not thick enough.

I'm not happy with the Borgeson setscrew setup either. If I had it to do all over again I'd get a Steer-N-Gear box, attach Borg or similar coupling and weld coupling to splined area. I won't live long enough to wear out a new box from Steer-N-Gear, so personally it seems the best choice.

Unfortunately now I'm still stuck with the junk Firm Feel rebuilt box [which they gave me a full refund on, and they don't do Dodge truck boxes anymore!]. I see a Steer-N-Gear box in my future, with some kind of welded connection or a better clamping area than Borgeson. There's room for a whole bunch more length on Borgeson's coupling which would give more spline engagement, too bad they make them so short to save a few pennies!

The only other option I see is a Borgeson type coupling with their setscrew, PLUS a thin rollpin as a little bit of extra insurance, but that's a choice one has to make for themselves. I wouldn't use a bolt under any circumstances now. A rollpin has some give in it, able to shrink/expand with lateral load forces, where a bolt does not. That variation in a roll pin would prevent it being chewed to death under loads like a bolt.

All I can say on the prior post is that the bolt suggestion is NOT a good one! :S

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
Steering boxes 1267 WTHETRUCK 05/03/2009 08:18PM
Re: Steering boxes 459 JimmieD 05/03/2009 10:25PM
Re: Steering boxes 474 WTHETRUCK 05/04/2009 07:58AM
Re: Steering boxes 466 PwrWgnDrvr 05/04/2009 01:46AM
Re: Steering boxes 501 Hobcobble 05/04/2009 08:13AM
Re: Steering boxes 642 JimmieD 05/04/2009 12:45PM

Array
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.