1961-71 Dodge Sweptline Truck Forum

Sweptline Showcase

Sponsored Links

Back about 18 months or so ago, I asked about window wipes for the door glass on my 71 D300. I did order two pair and finally got around to fitting them,since there isn't a lot I can do under present conditions. I removed what was left of the outside , original wipe without scratching the pain 
Re: windo pipes
Posted by: Rickers (76.100.141.---)
Date: April 10, 2020 05:13PM

I did it! Got the wipes installed --well, at least the outside ones. And I did NOT break the glass or do any other damage. The tricky part, IMO , is to get the old clips out without any damage to the paint or glass. I had to trim each wipe just a bit, especially at the front end. The set I had with built in clips fit OK, but the clips, in the main, fit too loose for me. So I used a drop or two of
Gorilla Glue on the rubber between the clips and I am now satisfied the wipes are in there to stay. However, I did have some anxiety as I used some wooden shims (type used to shim new door install on buildings, etc)to hold the rubber wipe tight against the metal of the door while the glue dried. When I withdrew two after the glue was well dried, two others slipped down into the door on the outside of the glass. As a result, I could only crank the window up about 50 percent before the shims blocked anymore travel.That was yesterday and I stopped for the day. This am I remembered a tool I had , and hoped I could find it. A flex shaft with an inner core and three "claws" at the end. Push down on the button at the top, and the claws come out., Release and they clamp on what is between the claws --like thin wooden shims. A somewhat delicate operation, but IT WORKED. I still have the inner ones to do, and there is NO WAY I can get the clips in now--real
tight fit. I am thinking about removing all the clips and Gorilla Glue them in. TBD.

Navigate: Previous MessageNext Message
Options: ReplyQuote

Subject Views Written By Posted
windo pipes 759 Rickers 03/30/2020 05:03PM
Re: windo pipes 266 swptln 03/30/2020 07:37PM
Re: windo pipes 267 Klebert L. Hall 03/31/2020 08:18AM
Re: windo pipes 405 Rickers 04/10/2020 05:13PM

Array
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
This forum powered by Phorum.